Under ‘normal’ circumstances, spending time listening to people about the wider challenges they face (over a cup of tea) is an important part of what we do. Although we cannot offer our regular signposting services while social distancing, we’re doing our best to continue guiding people towards further support.
We’re also aware that due to the Covid-19 crisis, many more people are in need of foodbank support for the first time – and the myriad of new information available can be overwhelming. We’ve tried to break key points down into these two simple guides, which are being made available to everyone who receives food from the foodbank at this time.
- This newly updated support leaflet provides an overview of key local support available during the pandemic for issues including ranging from benefits advice, debt, domestic violence to housing issues – all in one place.
2. This helpful guide Coronavirus and Your Money (adapted from National Debtline’s Coronavirus Hub) gives a step by step breakdown of how to handle financial difficulties during the Covid-19 situation, the new measures and rights that have been introduced to help people manage:
Other helpful sources of support:
- If your children normally receive free school meals, you may be eligible for supermarket vouchers of £15 per week through the government’s National Voucher Scheme. Please speak to your school to register.
If you have money to buy food but cannot leave the house because you are self-isolating, other support is available in the community apart from the foodbank. Other options in Exeter include:
- Devon Emergency Helpline (for people who have received an NHS Extremely Vulnerable Letter and are in urgent need of food, medicine or support) 0345 155 1011 https://www.devon.gov.uk/coronavirus-advice-in-devon/document/extremely-vulnerable-people/
- Exeter Community Action Practical support from volunteers with shopping delivery, prescription collection etc: www.exeter.gov.uk/wellbeing 01392 265000 (Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm, Sat-Sun 9am – 12)
- You can download a Food Delivery Directory of other shops and services offering food delivery in Exeter (both paid for and free) here.